Bad breath can be frustrating, especially if you brush and floss regularly. For many people, getting rid of bad breath is as easy as brushing their teeth. However, for some people, bad breath can be an ongoing problem. Knowing what causes bad breath and what you can do about it can help you take better care of your teeth. As yourdentist in Gilbert, AZ, we’re here to help. Here’s what to know about managing your bad breath.
Causes of Bad Breath
Bad breath can have many causes. Here are some of the reasons that people experience bad breath:
- Poor oral hygiene. If you have poor oral hygiene habits, you’re likely to experience bad breath. Brushing and flossing regularly can help eliminate bacteria that cause bad breath. If you do not floss once daily and brush twice daily, work on your oral hygiene habits to help with your breath.
- Eating foods that cause bad breath. Some foods cause bad breath and continue to cause bad breath even after you’ve brushed your teeth because the food particles have been absorbed into the blood. Onions and garlic may have this effect.
- Smoking. Smoking and using tobacco products can have a negative impact on your oral hygiene and oral health. Therefore, smoking may cause a variety of problems that could cause your breath to smell.
- Dry mouth. Dry mouth is a condition that causes bad breath because saliva helps clean the mouth and eliminate bacteria that keep your breath smelling good.
- Periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is an infection of the gum tissue caused by bacteria. People who have periodontal disease may experience bad breath because of the bacteria causing the infection.
When to See the Dentist
If you’re experiencing bad breath and brushing your teeth isn’t helping, contact your dentist for adental exam in Gilbert, AZ. We’re committed to helping our patients improve their oral hygiene at Kathy Jacobsen Contemporary Dentistry. We can help.