If you have kids introducing them to new things can be fun, challenging, exciting, and frustrating at the same time. I have three children and with today’s technology I expect them to grow up without cavities. When I was a kid it was almost expected to have a cavity when we went to the dentist. Getting a filling was normal-hey we were happy if it was only one. Times have really changed. Today children can have the benefit of regular dental care and advancements like sealants, and electric toothbrushes.
To help your child grow up cavity free teach them that going to the dentist is fun. Regular dental care prevents problems and catches things early before the problems are major. I think it is best to bring the kids in early for a fun ride on the chair and toothbrush instruction. They come in at 2 or so and have an easy visit, get a new toothbrush and pick a prize out of the toy box. The first visit should be problem free so that it is a positive experience. It is great when the kids look forward to going to the dentist!
10 secrets for cavity free kids!
1. Clean baby’s mouth with a 2X2 gauze so that the gums and new teeth are clean and debris free. This will get baby used to the process and help in the future.
2. Start toothbrush at 18 months. They can play with the toothbrush and then you can actually brush their teeth for them. Toothpaste is not necessary to start. Introduce that when you know they can spit it out and not swallow it.
3. Regular Dental Checkup every 6 months.
4. Stop thumbsucking before permenant teeth come in. This is usually around 6 years old.
5. Have dental sealants placed on permenant molars and premolars.
6. Never put kids to bed with a bottle of juice or milk. If they need a bottle only fill with water.
7. Never dip a pacifier in anything sweet.
8. Help your child brush. Let them brush first then go over their teeth again.
9. Brush twice a day for 2 minutes.
10. Be a good role model. Let your kids see you brush and floss. Be a consistent dental patient, having your check up as well twice yearly.